From 1914 to 1942 our offices were located on the 3rd
floor of Alexandria City Hall.
Christmas at City Hall. In
1928, Mrs. Ed Adrion, the first United Charities President, raised funds
from local businesses, purchased a Christmas tree and held a Christmas Party
for local needy children. 1,000 gifts were distributed among 800
children. In 1929, with the assistance of A. Hunter Jarreau, General
Manager of The Town Talk, the Christmas Party became an annual event.
This work continued through the Depression, the War Years and Post-War
Period. In 1962, The Town Talk and the Rotary Club formalized this
project by establishing the present-day Doll and Toy Fund.
During the height of the Great Depression, the City
Welfare Bureau sponsored a series of Food Benefit Shows in cooperation
with the Paramount Theater and The Town Talk. They were
held on Saturday mornings to benefit the unemployed and the needy of
Alexandria and surrounding parishes. Admission to the show was any
article of food or clothing to be distributed by the City Welfare Bureau.
A Town Talk article dated 3-6-21 stated that the featured show for the event
was a comedy called "Only Saps Work." Also on the program were a group
of 16 Girl Scouts performing The Minuet, Elaine Jones rendering a musical
reading and Lois Wheaton performing a song and dance number.
Looking North on 3rd Street toward the Paramount Theater,